One Penumbral Lunar Eclipse may have culminated on 10th January 2020 (in the Moon’s own sign of Cancer) but we have 5 more ..yes FIVE more Eclipses to come in 2020. So here are the details. There’s a lot of data and discussion on this matter.. so I’ll star this blog with basics ..and will periodically update it with more details, times, graphics, animations and more. Remember to bookmark this blog page, and check back before eclipses..! -Mani Navasothy (Author of `Eclipse Magic Workbook’ published in 2012).
**All times are UT = Universal Time (approx equivalent to GMT)
Basic info (in date order)——–
- 5th June 2020 – Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse (Greatest Eclipse at 19:26 hrs UT)
- 21st June 2020 – Annular SOLAR Eclipse (Greatest Eclipse at 6.39hrs UT)
- 5th July 2020 – Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse (Greatest Eclipse at 4:31 hrs UT)
- 30th November 2020- Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse (Greatest Eclipse at 9:44 hrs UT)
- 14th December 2020 – Total SOLAR Eclipse (Greatest Eclipse at 16.13hrs UT)
Extended data ——-
For Each Eclipse, details will be given for Penumbral contact times P1,P2, P3, P4 and Umbral contact times U1, U2, U3 and U4. (all data learnt from NASA site for Eclipses, calculated by Fred Espenak – now retired Astronomer).
5th June 2020 – Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse
- Ecliptic Conjunction at 19:13 hrs UT
- Greatest Eclipse at 19:26 hrs UT
- Duration : 3 hrs 18 min
- P1 = 17:45 hrs; P4 = 21:04 hrs
- Visible in Uk at time of Moon rise (evening).
5th July- Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse
- Ecliptic Conjunction at 4:45 hrs UT
- Greatest Eclipse at 4:31 hrs UT
- Duration : 2 hrs 45 min
- P1 = 3:07 hrs; P4 = 5:52 hrs
- Visible in Uk at time of Moon Set (early morning).
30th November – Penumbral LUNAR Eclipse
- Ecliptic Conjunction at 9:30 hrs UT
- Greatest Eclipse at 9:44 hrs UT
- Duration : 4 hrs 20 min
- P1 = 7:32 hrs; P4 = 11:53 hrs
- Visible in most of UK (Morning, after sunrise).
Annular Solar Eclipse 21st June 2020
- Greatest Eclipse at 16:13 hrs UT
- Duration : 2min 9 seconds
- Penumbral times- P1 =3.45 hrs; P2= 5.51 hrs; P3= 7.28 hrs; P4= 9.33 hrs
- Umbral times- U1= 4.47 hrs; U2=4.49 hrs; U3=8.30 hrs; U4=8.32 hrs
Total Solar Eclipse 14th December 2020
- Greatest Eclipse at 6:39 hrs UT
- Duration : 38.2 seconds
- Penumbral times-P1 = 13:33 hrs; P2= 15:36 hrs; P3= 16:49 hrs; P4=18:52 hrs
- Umbral times- U1= 14.32 hrs; U2= 14:33 hrs; U3= 17:53 hrs; U4= 17:54 hrs
Useful related Blogs
Eclipse Magic Workbook(Pub 2012) by Mani Navasothy.