This time, as we move towards a Full moon in Pisces, we’ll be invoking Aphrodite & Luxmi – Goddesses of Love – for their blessings of Love in our own lives. This ceremony will include creating a charm/ love spell for those interested. Please bring wine to share, and greenery & flowers and other beautiful magical items to decorate our Altar of Love.
There is a fee of £3/ £2 for this event (collected at start of ritual).
No prior knowledge or experiences of wicca or ritual magic is necessary for you to attend this. Just come with an open mind. Be friendly and non-intrusive. Connect with others, and join in the ceremony.
Facilitator: Mani Navasothy – Hindu, Shaman & Wiccan High Priest.
Meeting point/ schedule:
Note- Gather outside the seats outside Tate Modern Gallery (main doors, facing riverside) by 7.30pm. Please be on time – we have a fixed duration to do the ritual, before Thames tide starts to rise!!. You will be invited to go down to the river bank at 8pm for start of ritual..
Note on Low tide:
Our rituals take place on the actual river bank…just few meters away from the water. We organise these Thames-rituals after checking Thames Tide time tables.. (At high tide the entire river bank is under many meters of water!!).
The steps are slippery. bank of Thames after previous tide will be full of new things and sharp objects. Take extreme care with your own health & safety. You are responsible for your safety.
**No children allowed**
**Unfortunately the location is not suitable for anyone with walking disabilities**
What to bring:
• Please dress appropriate for weather! (we carry on Rituals regardless of weather).
• Please bring food & drinks to share ( bread & cheese / humus are a good start) and any soft drink/wine that you like to share with others in circle.
• a torchlight is a good idea. Feasting/ sharing food & Drinks:
After the ritual circle on the river bank is completed, some people leave for home. Others stay behind to socialise. We tend to go back up to street level, to the grassy green area outside Tate Modern Gallery and socialise/ share food & drinks.. If it’s raining, we just go to the nearby Pub within sight.
Organiser/ Wiccan High Priest
Link to meetup event: https://www.meetup.com/London-Woodland-Witches-Pagans-Magicians/events/253781010/
Many in my meetup group have asked for a deeper, extended covering of Wicca, so here it is – a course in 3 parts. It is still suitable for beginners, but each subject is covered in much greater depths, and includes meditations, pathworking, and magical / ritual work – to embed what you are learning!
This takes place over 3 consecutive Sundays in September. You don’t have to do all of them.. (but if you did, it will form a cohesive deeper and practical experience of Wicca). You may attend one or more.
• Part 1: Sacred Space & Energy (Sunday 4th Sept)
• Part2: Horned Gods & Moon Goddesses (sunday 11th Sept).
• Part 3: Practical Magic, Covens & Initiations in Wicca (Sunday 18th Sept)
Fee: £13 per session. You can book/ rsvp now for each course, and turn up and pay by cash on the day.
The following structure has been devised by me.
Part 1: Sacred Space & Energy – (Sunday 4th September 2016)
You’ll experientially learn about the following :
Magical energy preparations/ work:
• Chakra system of personal energy centres will be explained, with a practical meditation to experience this;
• An energy attuning pathworking will be led by tutor (using 4 element imagery, as well as growing horns & branches, and connecting to the Earth centres using imagery of growing roots.
• Consecrations – you’ll first see a demonstration of purifying and blessing, using Salt & Water, incense and Candle / lantern, the tools to use, and the usual wiccan words; Then each student will get a chance to practise the consecrations;
• Circle casting: Using your own wand, athame or the tutor’s wand, you will earn the visualisation, energy work and practise casting a magic circle.
• Elements & Quarters: The reasons and methods of calling/ invoking the undertaken elementals at the quarters inside a magic circle will be explained and demonstrated with words and symbols(invoking pentagrams, and element triangles) to be drawn; You will then practise this;
• Transpersonal qualities: There will be further explanations of the qualities invoked with elements, colour and symbolic correspondences. An exercise will also be undertaken by us – for internal elemental exploration and transpersonal balance.
• Witches Rune: Often used in Circles for energy raising (creative poetry written by Doreen Valiente – mother of modern Witchcraft). We will allocate some time to exploring the Witche’s Rune, the symbolism inherent in it, and have several practice chants of it.
Part 2: Working with God & Goddess in Wicca: (Sunday 11th September 2016)
You’ll experientially learn about the following :
• God forms in Wicca: This includes Cernunnos, Hern, Pan, Green Man, Dark Lord (Death), Sun God, Odin, Osiris …amongst others. The symbology of Horns, hooves, antlers are explained, as well as some discussion on the demonising (Pagan god seen as satan/ devil) of the god by non-pagans. We’ll deal with any hidden fears, old conditionings and prejudices, and work transpersonally to reconnect with the Horned God of Wicca and his empowering wildwood energies. Chants will be taught and used.
• Goddess form in Wicca: We’ll explore the Triple-Goddess imagery used in Wicca- maiden, mother and crone, as well as the various examples – Dianna the Huntress, Isis , Cailleach, Hecate, Gaia and more…
• The God & Goddess cycle in Wicca explained with diagrams and notes- ie the maiden Persephone’s abduction at Autumn, motherhood, rejuvenated Bride arriving back to land at Imbolc; Marriage of God & Goddess at Beltane; the sacrifice of the God at Lammas; coming of Dark Lord at Samhain; Birth of Sun-child at Yule and more.
• Invocations, evocations and Charges of God & Goddess : What happens after circle is cast and energy raised in a coven? How are the god & Goddess brought into the Circle? Who carries those energies? What is the Drawing down of the Moon? And Sun? How does working with God & Goddess empower Witches? All will be explained with brief demonstration of postures.
• We’ll go through some invocations and learn to use them. (which you can use in your own or group rituals).
• Charge of the Goddess – the poetry work created by Doreen Valiente – mother of modern witchcraft will be looked.
• Cup and sword pathworking – to meet the God and Goddess.
Part 3: Ritual Magic, Covens & Initiations in Wicca (Sunday 18th September 2016)
You’ll experientially learn about the following :
• Principles of Magic & Divination explained using the hexagram;
• Main forms of ritual magic practised in coven-wicca explained and demonstrated (Candle magic, cord magic, healing work, rune magic).
• We’ll do one piece of practical magic.
• Making of tools and how to consecrate them in a circle will be covered, with an option for you to consecrate one of your tools (wand);
• Coven structures, initiation degree systems; some preparations and quests that seekers of initiation must undergo (no oathbound coven secrets will be divulged! But published materials will be talked about, and any misconceptions/ fears you have will be addressed as long as it does not breach wiccan secrecy oaths.
• All about your Witch-Name : What is it? Why? How do you go about choosing one? When is it used? and more.
What to bring
• For your own comfort, please bring any food/drinks lunch (Please avoid eating during course delivery, unless otherwise stated on the day !);
• bring flask of hot drinks.
• ***Bring comfortable cushion/ mat to sit on, as well as a blanket / throw to wrap up ..during meditative work (or if it’s just cold).
• Please wear warm coats, socks (those ankle socks are pointless…as gnats and mosquitos will get you !), scarf..
• We’ll have some wine for ceremonial parts of the course & for a bit of social after
• Strictly no exotic substance/ drugs etc!
• Note books/ pen .
Recording / photography policy
No private recording by phones/ dictaphones.
No photography during course delivery & practise. .
Course notes / voice recording by Tutor:
Some printed notes will be provided
Parts of the Course will be recorded (voice only) by the Tutor, and uploaded to a private link, where students who attended the course can listen in a few weeks after the course to refresh their minds. (only informative parts. Pathworking etc will not be part of this.
Practical Details for the Day (venue/transport).
You can get to Wimbledon (served by Train, buses, tram, tube).
From Wimbledon, take bus 93 going towards Putney.
Get down at `Wimbledon Tea rooms’ stop
Walk 5-10 minutes along a small road to Wimbledon Tea Rooms, inside Wimbledon Common.
You can drive in and park your cars for free.
Please gather at the outdoor seats of the Tea Room/ Cafe by 11.30am. Once all are gathered, we’ll all walk up into the space set up for the course (close to where we held the course in February & July’ 16).
We will break for lunch and short tea/coffee breaks. And we shall aim to finish by 5pm..
Links to the Meetup events for these courses (where you can pay by paypal)
( Wiccan High Priest & published Author)
Join us for the evening to mark SAMHAIN – the night for honoring our ancestral spirits! Outdoor Samhain is particularly intense because of the real dark (wet, windy) environment among trees and bushes that are already bare …! As evening falls, there is an eeriness that also becomes apparent.. Once at the ritual space, you will be immediately involved in the ritual – of the calling of the DarkLord, and communing with ancestors. Some divination work will commence before feasting
“Samhain is a festival for the dead and ancestors. Death is seen as a transition from one phase of life to another (The Death Card in Tarot has similar meaning), or from one incarnation to the next. This rite invokes the God an Goddess of the underworld. The Dark Lord opens the gateway between our world and the underworld and invites all to feast (commune) with the dead. At Samhain the veil between world is thin, and so it is perfect time for the art of divination and mediumship. On a lighter side, apple bobbing from the cauldron is traditional. Samhain is seen as the New Year in Celtic traditions”. (taken from http://www.WitchcraftandMagic.uk )
Date: Saturday 31st October 2015
This is an open ritual held in an outdoor park/woods with easy public access..
Out ritual *Team will conduct key aspects of the ceremony, with plenty of opportunities for everyone to get involved in the actual ritual – ie with elements calling, chants, magical work and so on.
(*to join in as Ritual team, please contact Mani several weeks in advance. Of course You can also just join in the ritual as ordinary attendee on the day).
RITUAL items to bring:
– Your ritual cloths/ robes/ cloaks
– Staff / wands / antlers / tribal masks
– Drums & musical instruments
– Lanterns / candles / lighter
– Crystals / runes / divination tools
-Poetry / invocations (learnt or to read)
For full details join my Meetup event for this at
-Mani Navasothy (Wiccan High Priest)
Here’s a video that April and I created for Spring 2012. It’s a Spring Goddess Invocation in the Wiccan style. This Video uses photos taken near south & north London parks, around the time leading up to Spring Equinox 2012, and royalty-free music purchased online. Words taken from personal wiccan ritual of 1997.
April calls on Spring Goddess to enter the circle. All rights reserved (c) MNavasothy.
For info on videos, articles and webinars, and witchcraft & wiccan training outdoors & online, visit our website www.WitchcraftandMagic.org and opt-in with your name & e-mail. We’ll keep you updated.
You can also `like’ our facebook page www.facebook.com/WiccaWitchcraftandMagic
-Mani Navasothy & April Jonquil
Mirror meditation work
This exercise is partially transpersonal as well as magical. It may seem similar to the `black mirror scrying’ – ie gazing at a black mirror in semi-dark room with a candle. But this one is quite different. Here, you won;t be just gazing into the mirror, awaiting imagery, but you’ll be looking deeply `into your self’ …
When I have done this for myself, there have been brief moments of intensity. What you `find’ when you do this work is of great value. Do make a note of your insights, imagery and anything else that surfaces immediately. Those will become useful and significant in some of the works in further modules.
You will require a dimly lit room ( or just one candle only in an otherwise dark room).
Arrange the furniture / tools, so that you are seated on a chair or on the floor in a comfortable manner. Place a normal mirror in front of you – on a stable stand, table, wall or the floor.
This exercise merely involves you looking. So no other objects are needed, except a single candle (no electric lights/ lamps or other light sources. Ensure you can not see even the tiny lights of electrical equipment like clock radios, Video player, mobile phone, laptop stand-by light etc).
You should only be able to see a fairly dimly lit reflection of just your face on the mirror (the candle light source should not be seen on the mirror. It should be adjusted and away from the mirror. The Candle light should not be too direct on your face or eyes, as that can distract you).
- Once set-up is complete, be seated in front of the mirror, and look gently at your reflected face on it. Avoid any sorts of concerns, thoughts, worries and just look at your face for a good 10-15 minutes without interruption.
- Blink normally through out (no need to force eyes to be open).
- Now look deeply into you own (reflected) eyes. You will only be able to look into one eye at a time. Stay with this for awhile.
- If any imagery or distortions take place, remember to make a note of it later, especially the `feelings’ you get, (such as anxiety, bewilderment or other emotions).
- Only do this exercise for a maximum of 10-15 minutes. Then gently switch room lights on.
- Make a full record / note of your experience in the notebook.
What you may get
- Initially you may start this, taking it lightly.
- Looking into `your eyes’ (on the mirror) can be quite disconcerting – as at some point, you’ll loose objectivity, and may slip into a point where you think you are looking into the eyes of another person. Doing it for more than a few minutes will be a new experience!
- As your eyes get a little tired or become used to it, your sight may blur and attention `phase out’ a little. That’s when interesting thngs occur.
- As you do this work, you’ll become aware of the plethero of random thoughts flooding through your mind. But at some point, a shift may occur, and insights or revelations surface.
Hope you find this exercise valuable.
Having written quite critically about some aspects of the Wiccan Laws, I wanted to illustrate 3 fundamental laws that nearly all wiccans accept and use in their lives. No just Wiccan, but even pagans (in general) use these..
So here’s an extract from one of the e-Witch Apprentice modules.
“Know Thy Self
`Know Thy Self’ is an important part of all magical work. When we work intensely in the realms of magic, we come across the energies and forces of other people – magical and non-magical, other living things, and magical or esoteric entities (spirits, guides, ghosts, fairies etc). It is easy to become so involved with those, that you can `loose’ your own identity or boundary. It is similar to have a very close relationship with another person, where you sometimes can be in danger of loosing your own identity, likes, wants, hopes by doing too much for the other person. So as well as studying magical energies, we also dedicate an equal amount (if not more) of time to knowing about our own self – our hopes, wants, fears, nightmares, and of course our skills and abilities.
An it harm none, do what you will!
This is a very important `law’ in Wiccan communities, and it’s essence can not be impressed upon you enough! Basically, it speaks of personal responsibility, and implies that – `as long as your actions do not in any way harm others, you may do what ever you like’. This is harder to achieve than you might think!! Our every action or intention has the possibility of impacting on, or affecting (directly or indirectly) one or more peoples’ lives around us. We find that it is nearly impossible to take any sort of action that will not affect others. Yet, we must strive and aspire to this moral code of Witches!
One word of warning: Do not try to use some clever logical arguments or lines of thoughts to `crack’ this code to justify your own actions. Best you can do is to acknowledge it, and aspire to it in as humble manner as possible.
The 3-fold return
Most Wiccans & magical practitioners believe in the natural law of return – especially a 3-fold return! What this means is that whatever actions we take or energies we send out, we believe that 3 times that amount will come back to us – sooner or later (in this life!). Any good deeds you perform selfishly has the potential to return some 3 times benefit; By the same token, if you take actions that harm others or disrupt them, your own life may suffer similar or different kind of harm or disruptions – sooner or later, and when you least expect it! These are very similar to the Hindu principles of Karma!!”
“Perfect Love…Perfect Trust..!” Two passwords that every single Gardnerian or Alexandrian Wiccan initiate learns at the time of his or her first degree initiation! And then, almost certainty, he or she forgets..well, almost!
Wicca is a neo-pagan religion, crafted using several strands of magical principles, traditions, beliefs and Witchcraft practices – by Gerald Gardner in the mid 1950’s, at a time the practice of Witchcraft was still illegal. (The Act was repealed in 1951). *Wicca is an initiatory tradition, in that a new member is `brought into the existing Coven of Witches (Wiccans)’ through the process of an initiation ceremony or ritual. At this Ceremony, the `Seeker’ (Postulant) is made to swear an oath of secrecy and loyalty – to keep the secrets of The Craft, and to also protect other Witches. In the back of the Book of Shadows, there are `Laws’ – many of which instruct the Witch on actions to take towards protecting his or her fellow Witches & the Coven. *(I am not revealing anything here that has not already been written about by Witches, talked about in Festivals and Conferences, or debated in many an online forums!)
In modern times, experienced Wiccans often boast of the network of Wiccans, and the way initiated members of one coven may be accepted as guests in other covens – even far away- provided there as been the personal vouching for those members. It’s a kind of `trust currency’ that is used within such groups and networks.
And yet, from many a personal experiences, either my own, or by observations – I know that even Initiated Wiccans of related covens or branches of covens – don’t always practice this `Trust’ – even when they know that another person is `one of theirs’.
In recent history, there have been cases of people jumping to ill-conclusions, judging another Wiccan without even bothering to investigate facts or giving the benefit of the doubt, or worse – condemning another Wiccan in public and cajoling other friends into a sort of colluded behavior that can be easily seen as bullying & harassing It is simple human decency and my own sense of ideals that prevents me mentioning names, and not some Wiccan secrecy oath.
There have been many debates online on this matter (facebook is full of it). Many are quick to say that we are all people..humans..and such behavior (mistrust, squabbles, in-fights) are all part of our human nature.
I disagree. I did not take such serious magical oaths, in the presence of my Gods & Goddesses and the powerful Elemental entities, and a coven of Witches- agreeing that my soul will be damned and the Curse of the Goddess may be upon me if I break these solemn oaths- so that I can just throw away that oath when my `human nature’ asserts itself.
The Wiccan oath is not one of convenience, nor is it `an aspiration’ or `just a guidance’ – to me. It’s a serious oath, one that goes deeply into my psyche, and entangles with my past, present and future lives! Yes, I have had in the past, and continue to have my `am only human’ moments. But at all times I have conducted myself with self-integrity and in line with the oaths I took.
But in a fast moving society — when `internet covens’ do `internet rituals’, cherished Wiccan Authors allow others to be harassed and vilified in their own `facebook profiles’, other Wiccans suddenly seem to gain so much faith that the Goddess will protect and so they themselves need not interfere in any Wiccan-related unjust situations — my `human side’ is fast growing stronger than my `Wiccan side’. In the last few years, I have seen steadily increasing evidence of such Wiccan failings. If Wiccan society has moved on so much with the times, then maybe it’s time I moved on too.. instead of holding on to some romantic notions & ideals of secrecy and protecting the fellow Witch!
It occurs to me.. perhaps we need new `laws’ in Wiccan initiations? or perhaps we just strike all such `conditional’ constructs out of The Books of Shadows? What do you think?
Rules only have power, as long as the followers follow them and enforcers enforce them. As for Wiccan laws – well, I have yet to hear of some `personal psychic account’ that a Prophet of the Horned God Pan or a Messiah of the Moon Goddess came down from some mountain or rose from a Lake…to give us these `Laws’. What we use came from a Man! And man is..only human!!
I’d love to hear your thoughts and views..
ps. As we are moving towards `Halloween’ (Samhain) – traditionally seen as a very `witchy time’, I will be writing several thought-provoking blogs and articles on the subjects of Wicca,Witchcraft & Magic. be sure to subscribe or follow my blog to read more. 🙂
How to become an Initiated Witch: A seeker’s Guide to Covens
by Mani Navasothy.
This Guidebook takes you – if you are already sure about a Wiccan Initiation- from where you are at now to the point of finding, meeting, asking and training with a Coven leader..towards getting your 1st degree wiccan initiation! And then what to do to stay there and grow, rather than become rejected!! A highly valuable straight-to-the-point ebook, soon available here and in the internet!
I’ll be e-publishing this valuable Guide very soon. And here’s a secret – There’s another ebook which is companion to this – but for Coven Runners 🙂