Gaian Times was conceived as more than just an e-Magazine. It was founded as a not-for-profit Company limited by guarantee, in England & Wales, in February of 2011. (Company No: 07515903. Exempt from use of `Ltd’). But the ideas of an Eco-spiritual, magical, educational entity had been in my mind for much longer, and as `Gaian Times’ for at least 2 years prior to the establishing of Gain Times Ltd.
- The magazine was launched in June 2011 (5 years ago!) and was published freely online 3 times a year. (currently only once a year for few years now – due to other workloads). It provides informative & thought-provoking feature articles, columns, Video interviews, Photo-journals, Counseling & Psychology, Community debate, Astrology, Esoterica, Poetry, Eco-Art & info on Protests, Eco-Campaigns, Environmental Groups and more.
- The Not-for-profit company was registered with Companies House to a) protect the name, as well as be the foundation for a long term plan to create an ecos-spiritual Charity. This it was et up with aims/ objects that are equally valid for all legal charitable entity purposes.
Gaian Times Magazine covers (issues 1-10)
Read previous Issue #10 (click picture below)
Who is Gaia..?
Gaia is the Earth Goddess in Greek mythology! In many ancient religions, people have worshiped the Earth as a deity, and as the Great Mother. `Gaia’ of Greek mythologies, and `Pooma-devi’ of Hindu myths are just some example (In tamil language, `Poomi’ means Earth). Until the 1970’s, seeing the Earth as a deity ha sonly been confined to the spiritual realms, or rather, it did not reach the scientific realms. But then came the `Gaia Hypothesis’ and the eventual `Gaian Theory’ from James Lovelock and within a short span (40 years), it has changed how even the scientists see the Earth- more as a self-regulating entity!
Until 1975 the hypothesis was almost totally ignored. An article in the New Scientist of February 15, 1975, and a popular book length version of the hypothesis, published in 1979 as The Quest for Gaia, began to attract scientific and critical attention. It was then attacked by many mainstream biologists. Championed by certain environmentalists and climate scientists, it was vociferously rejected by many others, both within scientific circles and outside them. [*extract from wikipedia.org]
There have been many major conferences and symposiums since then, on the subject of this theory. In 1985, symposium `Is The Earth A Living Organism?’ was held at the University of Massachusetts, USA, and in 1988 a major conference at San Diego.
So what of Gaian Evolution? Global warming & new ice ages, extinction of human life, the long night of a hundred thousand years and dawn – of new species?? If Gaia is sentient, the question arises- What of the other planets? Where would Gaian sentience evolve to? Gaia Galaxia- as explored by the famous scientist and writer Isaac Asimov in his epic Foundation & Empire novels?
Read latest Issue (#11) – click picture below
We we hope you’ll be part of Gaian Times..! You can engage with Gaian Times in so many mediums
- Visit this Gaian Times formal Website
- Read the latest magazine FREE online magazine
- Interact on GT Facebook Page,
- Watch Videos on my youtube channel Gaian2012
We welcome submissions for GT
Items of interest:
Feature Article, letters, comments, News items, Art works & Poetry. All contents should reflect the Gaian Times themes (Science, Magic, Psychology and Eco-related topics on Earth). Reviews: Books, Bands & Eco-projects: If you would like publicity & support for your eco-centric bands & projects, or like to review books and films that have these themes, and are of an interest to Eco-centric people.
Gaian Times Ltd: Aims & Objectives
Gaian Times has set highly specific, extensive and Charitable Aims & Objectives for itself. Not for profit companies need not have such extensive Objectives which are comparable to the Objectives of formal Charities. However Gaian Times strives for such high ideals.
1 Gaian Times Objectives, for the benefit of the Public, as as follows:
a) Educate the public and promote conservation, protection and improvement of the world and natural environment. [Environment]
b). Explore evolving trends of human activities and its impact, regard, respect, worship and relationships to nature.[ Human trends & Impact]
c) Advance the education of the public in the subject of natural sciences, psychology of the sacred, old world religions, nature-based beliefs and spiritual traditions, which enlighten the public in living harmoniously with nature [Education & Spirituality]
d) Promote visionary art by the establishment and maintenance of, but not exclusively, an online art gallery, such that it furthers the exploration of possible future trends of the world. [Visionary Art].
2. Organise and facilitate for the education and benefit of the public seasonal ceremonies and celebration, festivals, conventions, lectures and courses that support the objects. [Events & Educating].
3. Produce, commission, and distribute literature, magazines, leaflets, books, websites and broadcasts that further the objects of the company [Publishing].
4. Assist, promote, support, co-operate with, become affiliated, and donate financially or otherwise to charities, associations, societies and bodies that have their objects similar to the Company. [Support others / Charities] .
Gaian Times is Registered as not-for-profit company, Limited by guarantee. Registered in England & Wales. No: 07515903. Exempt from use of `Ltd’ . Incorporation date: 3rd Feb’2011.
What does it mean?
Gaian Times is a registered Company – so is governed by the Company laws of the United Kingdon. It must file annual returns to Company House (Government body) stating who are the current Directors & Secretaries, and the official registered Office of the Company. It must also submit annual accounts to the government. Also Gaian Times submitted an Article of Association which has the `rules’ by which it must function. This can be downloaded from the Company House website. Note: Currently Gaian Times has 1 Director (Manivannan Navasothy, who is also the founder/ Chief Editor).
Registered not for profit means, that Director, Trustee or any other Officers/ Employers of Gaian Times can NOT benefit from any financial profits of the Company. So any profits made by Gaian Times must be put back into the Company for furthering its Aims & Objectives set in the Objects. In the event of Gaian Times winding down, any assets & money left must be given to other Charitable Companies of a similar nature or to Charity. (Note: As a Company, Gaian Times may hire people or employ people and pay them wages – just like any other Charitable Organisations do.
-Mani Navasothy (Founder/ Director)