This year, Navarathree (Nine nights of the Goddess) takes place between 13th -21st October, with Vijayathasami (Victory Day) on 22nd Oct.
We’ll be getting together in October, to participate in our own Luxmi ceremony.. for wealth, love and abundance).
he many Hindu Temples in London will have 10 days of celebrations, rituals, Abishekams, Poojas and prayers. I thought it would be lovely to hold our own Ceremony in the park in a natural setting.
It will be lovely for all of us to post ideas and co-create this special event. (Many years ago I facilitated a very simple Luxmi chant / event in Trent Park).
About Goddess Luxmi – she is the Hindu deity born of the Sea, married to Lord Vishnu, and symbolises Love, wealth, material foundations.. Usually seen as seated on a red lotus flower. She has similarities to Venus.
What we will be doing / ceremony:
Once we have gathered everyone at the Fountain area, we’ll all walk up to a nearby quiet area…along the Serpentine lake.
–For most part we’ll be seated on the ground.. so bring cushion/ ground sheet/ blanket etc..
• –Altar set-up: A Luxmi altar will be set up on the ground.. Feel free to bring your own deities/ritual/ ceremonial items to place on altar.. Flowers welcome. we’ll have holly ash (thirnoor), sandal wood paste and kungumam for annointing our selves (on forehead). Incense sticks will be lit..as well as candles in lanterns.
• –ceremony begins with bell ringing 3 times.
• –Chanting of Luxmi name 108 times (`Om Luxmi Namaha’). During this time (may take 10-15 minutes), we shall all still our minds, attune and connect to Goddess Luxmi.
• – Arti / flame offering & consecration:
• Arti is the ritual waving of a flame (camphor block burning on a censor) over the deity and ritual offerings and tools. This flame is then said to carry the energy of the deity..and it is offered to all participants..for consecrating themselves (touch flame and place hands to eyes or forehead).
• All attendees may also do the arti to the deity (careful: the metal censor will be hot).
• -Various Luxmi chants/ other chants. (15-20mins)
• -Flowers will be offered to Luxmi.. during chants.
• Bell rung 3 times – ceremony ends.
• -picnic & social
venue: (confirmed).- Hyde Park, Italian Gardens.
We’ll meet by the Italian Gardens.. near the central fountain on the edge of Serpentine River . Then we’ll move to a more secluded spot (to be decided on the day for the ceremony).
Time: ** Please be at meeting point between 2pm- 2.15pm. Some of us have evening events..so we will start this Luxmi Pooja promptly at a chosen location at 2.30pm. Best come join us from the start…
The date – now confirmed – saturday 17th October’15