Imbolc (Candlemass) is one of the 8 nature based festivals that pagans celebrate – and it is said to be the time when the Winter Goddess who has kept her grip on the land loosens her hold, so that the ice melts and waters break and flow again. It is when the Goddess Bride (Brigid) `returns’ to the land. Her path is lit by candles, symbolising the return of light and warmth which is imminent. Bride is a Goddess of poetry, inspiration, healing, knot-magic and weaving. With her, she brings the gifts of 3 flames! (Read more about Pagan Festivals)
Here in London, we are fortunate to have so many pagan open rituals and ceremonies, organised by several groups or organisations.. Here are some that are taking place over the next few days..
Click on each one to visit the relevant group/ organisation’s event page…to read more.
1. Thursday 30th January 2014– Indoor Imbolc Ritual ..organised by Pagan Federation London District..
- Facilitated by Catuvellauni Druid Grove
- Venue: Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, Holborn, London.
- Entry fee: £5 (for PF members & concessions), £6 for all others.
- Time: 7:30 – 10:00 PM Arrive from 7.30 pm for pre-ritual socialising in the foyer. Ritual starts at 8 pm and usually concludes before 9 pm. Feasting and socialising follow the ritual until 10 pm.
- Visit event page (facebook)
2. Saturday 1st February 2014- Woodland Imbolc Ritual by outdoor shamanic group Hern’s Tribe..
These have been taking place for almost 10 years, in the woods near Croydon. Gather at Coombe Lane tram stop by 3pm..to be guided to the ritual spot in the woods.. FREE.. (dress fully appropriate for snow or rain or cold, and slippery, muddy steep woodland floor!!
- Not entirely suitable for anyone with walking disability..
- Family friendly.. children with parents welcome..
- All are welcome.. pagans, non-pagans, friends.. to participate in the ceremony and/or the social afterwards.
- Time: Meet-up at Tram stop (Coombe Lane) by 3 pm.
- We’ll have the usual combination of ritual, with sacred shamanic space, some chant & Drumming, and magical work. A ritual fire will be carefully lit for this ceremony, and we’ll have home made bread & wine to share..
- Link to Ht Imbolc event page
- Link to Hern’s Tribe website
3. Sunday 2nd February 2014– Druid Imbolc Ritual facilitated by Jeremy Morgan & Loose Association of Druids..
- Come and celebrate Imbolc, part of a series of open rituals celebrated throughout the Celtic year on the Sunday nearest the appropriate date under the Aegis of the Loose Association of Druids
- Gather in the Hawthorne Grove between 12.30 & 12.45pm in order to select the concelebrants & to prepare the Site ready for a prompt 1 o’clock start.
- Nearest Tube: Chalk Farm or Swiss Cottage
- Nearest Overground: South Hampstead or Chalk Farm
- Please bring a small contribution of picnic food & drink to share
- Link to Event page
We have the Wiccan Woodland Monthly Circle coming up in a few weeks time.. I’ll give details next week.. But if you can’t wait till then, here’s a previous blog on Woodland Wiccan Circles.
**Click here for my Meetup Group with full details of Open Rituals**